Friday, October 21, 2011

Which race are you running?




I was fortunate enough to be at a conference this past week at which the theme was "Pursuing The Incorruptible Prize".  The messages and the theme stirred much feelings in me and of course brought me to a comtemplative place.  Certain questions started to arise, for example: Am I running the spiritual race?, Am I chasing Christ?, What are my goals?, Am I training or watching the others train?  After much thought and some tears I came to the understanding that being a "bystander" in life means that I am not running the race.  A bystander does not just mean doing nothing while life is passing, it also means barely participating and making excuses for the outcome of "little work".  Some of us feel that if we do just enough and squeak by in life unnoticed that will be alright. Be very careful, as the word of God reminds us that everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training but they do it for a temporal prize, however our race is for an everlasting crown.  Live your life to its fullest potential, smile a lot, love hard, bear fruit, sweat profusely, grit your teeth, and most importantly live like the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is at the finish line because guess what, He is.


1 Corinthians 9: 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment