Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Greatest Fight of All Time




People fight for and defend what they love. People will stand up for what they believe. They will fiercely defend their ideologies, beliefs and creeds even though their systems of belief may be deemed toxic and a detriment to a peaceful coexistence. Fighting for the one you love and defending the values one hold dear is a natural born instinct.
The faith that was "once delivered to the saints" according to the Apostle Jude is one such precious and priceless commodity. This faith that was secured by the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ for all those who would believe is one worth fighting for. In fact, its worth living for and dying for. This faith is not rule driven, its not religion, it is relationship. The Apostle Jude states with unequivocal fervor that the believer must "contend for the faith". This statement is a strong indication that the believer will face challenges, encounter opposition and be tossed with various kinds of turmoil and inner struggle. Yet through it all we must be resolved to hold our ground. Though we experience opposition from without and turmoil from within we must be on guard in identifying the real enemy. Our fight is not against any human element or counterpart. Instead , we battle a fearsome evil and wicked adversary in the spiritual realm. Are you willing to fight for this faith? I am willing to fight for this faith. Moreover, should the defense of the gospel require my life I am ready to lay it down.
If I may, let me quote the secular music artist Dido who sung in her song "White Flag" quote "I will go down with this ship, i wont put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door; I'm in love (with my Savior) and always will be."
"This ship" for me is the old ship of Zion, the church, the body of Christ. Of whom Jesus said "And the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." Stand firm and fight for this faith!

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was necessary for me to write unto you, and exhort you that you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints

No comments:

Post a Comment